Monday, March 13, 2006

TAS: Oh how easily things can take a bad turn

October 14, 1992

I should have known from the start that it would be a bad sports weekend for me, but I didn't. I went blindly into Friday full of excitement, vim, and vigor.

I mean, consider my situation. the Braves had a 2 - 0 lead on the Pirates in the NLCS and I was headed to Athens to watch Georgia Southern test their mettle against the Bulldogs. I was not predicting a win for the Eagles, but I did expect an exciting game.

Well, things started off okay. My girlfriend and I set off Friday afternoon for Athens. We were going to spend Friday night with my sister and come home after the game on Saturday. The drive to Athens was largely uneventful until we got to the bypass. Then my weekend began to slowly unravel.

Somehow Lynda and I ended up going west on the Athens by-pass instead of east. So, we traveled all the way around Athens to get to the exit that was normally only minutes away. However, thanks to the circular nature of perimeter loops we eventually found the proper exit. Then we made our second mistake.

Once we got off the exit ramp we decided to ignore the notes Mary (my sister) had given me and headed left instead of right. Lynda and I surmised that since we were approaching the exit from the opposite direction we must also travel in the opposite direction.

This turned out to be a fatal error of judgment. We ended up snarled within the streets of Athens, city map in hand, vainly searching for our street in the dark of night. After 30 minutes of wandering and a stop for map reading and sustenance, we righted ourselves and found Mary's apartment.

We settled down for the evening only to be treated to a Braves loss to the Pirates. Still, they led 2 - 1 and I remained optimistic. I was looking forward to Saturday's historic game.

It would surely offer some excitement, right? I was correct. There was some excitement, but I didn't get to see it. Due to car malfunctions, my editor didn't get to the stadium until the second quarter. So we missed the only Southern score of the game. I had hopes that things might change in the third quarter, but it was all for naught.

And still I hoped. The Braves won game 4 of the NLCS and it looked as if they had good chances to sew up the series with Steve Avery on the mound.

Yet once again, things went horribly wrong. The statistics caught up with Avery and with Barry Bonds. Avery, who had once owned the Pirates, gave up 4 runs and 4 consecutive doubles in the first inning. Bonds decided to come out of his humongous slump (0 for 28 with men in scoring position in postseason play) to push the Bucs to a 7 - 2 rout.

Yeah, my past weekend really bit at times. But this weekend promises to be a lot rosier. I sure hope so. I can't afford another one like that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home