Monday, March 06, 2006

TAS: GSU offers many sports

October 7, 1992
This is my third year at Georgia Southern. During that time I have read many of the sports columns written in our school papers.

There is one thing that always appears every year. Various people have urged me to go and support our sports teams. I never fully understood where they were coming from until I became a sports writer.

Suddenly my eyes were truly opened to the wide variety of sports the students have at their disposal, primarily because I bust my gut every week trying to keep up with it all.

Of course, there is the football team, but let's go past them and look at some of the other teams that practice hard as well and deserve some support.

First, there is the Ladies Volleyball team. They are enjoying one of their best starts this season with a record of 6 - 4 overall and a home record of 3 - 1.

I went to the Charleston Southern game last Thursday and was impressed with the amount of enthusiasm that the team displayed for each other. They had to cheer because there were not very many spectators.

Second, we have the men's soccer team. They are currently having a disappointing 4 - 5 - 1 season, but if anyone has the determination to improve, soccer players do.

I had never been to a soccer game prior to last Wednesday but I did notice the amount of physical abuse and exertion that those guys go through. It's tough.

The GSU swim team will begin their season on November 5th. As the Olympics proved this summer, competitive swimming can be very exciting. Last year our team traveled to FSU and posted very good numbers in Florida State's brand new pool complex.

Then in December the Georgia Southern basketball teams begin another year. Now, in my opinion, college basketball is the most (continuously) exciting sport to watch.

Baseball is very exciting when your team is winning, but there is too much adjusting, checking runners, and so on sometimes. Basketball is non-stop. The men's team won the TAAC conference last year and played in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Oklahoma State.

The women had a disappointing 14 - 16 record, but nothing could turn them around quicker than a packed house cheering them on.

Okay, now I am through.

I am not preaching as much as I am letting you know what is out there. I have been as apathetic as anyone, but now I want to turn over a new leaf.

After all, you pay for admission to all sporting events with your student activity fee.

Why not use it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home